Stay On The Right Side Of The Law
The maritime industry is challenged by specific regulatory requirements from the USCG, OSHA and DOT. In addition, it operates in a unique legal environment because of laws such as the Jones and Longshore Act. Add to these industry specific requirements, the ever-changing employment laws that affect all businesses and you have an operating environment that presents substantial risks to a company if they are not managed properly.
We not only understand the ins and outs of laws like the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and other employment laws, but also General Maritime law and the other laws pertaining to the industry. We can help you stay in compliance and avoid costly legal judgments that can adversely affect your profitability.
We can assist by:
- Conducting an HR audit to uncover potential compliance concerns and provide an action plan for improvement.
- Creating an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) to maintain compliance for federal contracts.
- Working with legal counsel to manage discrimination or harassment situations before they become an issue.
- Developing and updating your HR policies to ensure compliance with changing legislation.
- Developing hiring practices that align with Title VII, Age Discrimination & Employment Act (ADEA), American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other state and local legal requirements.